New Flophouse Address:

You will find all the posts, comments, and reading lists (old and some new ones I just published) here:
https://francoamericanflophouse.wordpress.com/

Thursday, December 4, 2014

An Excellent Video on the Impact of FATCA

Well, folks, it has been a rough couple of weeks at the Flophouse.  The logistics of getting out of one country and into another are daunting (but many of you already know that, right?)

And then there are the surprises. Stuff that seemed simple, straightforward, above all, done?

We should be so lucky...

 Remember that apartment we flew all the way to Osaka to find? Turns out that it's not a done deal and the issue is most likely the fact that we are foreigners (gaijin).

But I've learned a thing or two in the past couple of weeks which I will share in the days to come.

But for today I would simply like to draw your attention to this excellent video about FATCA by Robert Morris.  Morris is also the author of FATCA and the New Birth of American Empire -  the book is available in the usual places and you can read my review here.  





6 comments:

Ellen Lebelle said...

Glad you're back!

Blaze said...

Ditto. Glad to see you back.

I hope you don't end up homeless in Osaka.

How do you think FATCA will affect you there? Will you be able to have a bank account?

Northerndar said...

It is a very good short video... I also rec his videos "Arrested while White" in light of what is happening in America presently.

I look forward to your telling us about Japan.

No Fatca said...

Fatca is making America smaller and smaller. I like Putin new anti Fatca deal better.
We need to make FATCA a voting issue for 2016 election.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is very true. it is hurting average Americans who are trying to invest or create businesses beyond USA.

Victoria FERAUGE said...

Yep, FATCA is definitely something I am concerned about.

On the other hand, my previous experience in Japan is that not all Japanese banks will take foreigners period. I'm not kidding - in 2005/2006 we were turned down for accounts by several Japanese banks before we ended up at Citibank.

I'll keep you posted.