New Flophouse Address:

You will find all the posts, comments, and reading lists (old and some new ones I just published) here:
https://francoamericanflophouse.wordpress.com/

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Footnoting History

I have found yet another "time sink" on the Net but this is a good one and it's one that does feed the mind.

The site is called Footnoting History and it has a series of short podcasts about some of the more esoteric topics that might rate only a footnote in a serious history book or an academic paper but are interesting in and of themselves.  I can't vouch for the reliability of the information since I am not a historian but it sure was fun to listen to.  They have great suggestions for further reading, too.  Here are a few of the podcasts I listened to this weekend and really enjoyed:

Papal Abdication:  When the pope resigned recently a lot of us scratched our heads and said, "Hey, I didn't know he could do that."  This podcast puts Benedict XVI's resignation in historical context.

Hungry Heretics and Hoarding Homosexuals:  Medieval conspiracy theories.  Cathars, Templars, Iron Maiden....

Zombies in Thietmar of Merseberg:  Had to listen to this one twice because it's pretty strange.  Dead people walking around in 11th century Germany?  Have to wonder about that bishop and substance abuse when he wrote all this down....

Bon dimanche, everyone!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

From Footnoting History to you - thanks! We are glad you like us and hope that we can keep it up :) Let us know if you have any stories you've always wanted to know more about.

And I may have a new favorite blog ;)

Elizabeth

Victoria FERAUGE said...

Oh how lovely to see your note, Elizabeth. Thank you so much for stopping by the Flophouse. Yes, I love your work and it gave me a great deal of pleasure over the weekend after I discovered you. I'm really looking forward to the March program. In particular the one about Drinking in Medieval England. Victoria