New Flophouse Address:

You will find all the posts, comments, and reading lists (old and some new ones I just published) here:
https://francoamericanflophouse.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Chemo Cocktail Round Two

I had my second round of chemotherapy late last week.  The actual procedure went very well - I had the same nurse who is, in my humble opinion, a Goddess.  I also had the pleasure of seeing some familiar faces and exchanging phone numbers and blog addresses.  Solidarité in action.

The aftermath was something else.  Tired right down to my bones.  I've been in bed for the last few few days and was only able to get up and walk about for more than a few minutes yesterday.

Things are looking up this morning.  I have more energy and was even able to tackle a few of the weeds in the Flophouse garden.  Some of this may have to do with the daily injections I'm getting to boost my immune system.  These are given by a certified nurse who comes to my house every morning.   That's right, the care comes to me and it is all 100% covered by the national healthcare system.

I find this amazing but when I express this to my French friends and family, they reply, "Mais, c'est normal."  My dear friends, I have lived in a world where such a thing isn't "normal" at all.  And I cannot find the words to express (in either of my two languages) how grateful I am for this system, for the healthcare professionals who provide such competent compassionate care and for the French nation that supports it.  



5 comments:

Shirl and Rowan said...

Hi, Victoria, and welcome back to the Land of the Living! All sounds like it is proceeding "normally," given the cocktails you are ingesting. And so glad you have the French healthcare system - not a surprise to us that you love it.
Love
Shirl and Rowan
follow us at http://www.untethered.us

Anonymous said...

Hello Victoria
It is a glorious day in Paris, sunshine with a breeze. I am happy to know that the deuxieme seance is done - I guess you know what to expect now and how to manage.
I second your thoughts on French healthcare. I had a team of delightful infirmiere come twice daily for six weeks. They were competent and experienced and brought a lot of smiles. Like you, it reminded me how fortunate I am to be in France. I never take the wonderful French health care for granted, we are indeed very privileged.
Happy July 4th to you.
God Bless.

Marc said...

Because you deserve it Victoria!
Affectionately yours,

Victoria FERAUGE said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments. Doing much better and am planning a trip to the garden store this morning...

All the best,

Victoria

betty said...

An odd conversation at work. Colleague said his mom had very radical breast surgery,chemo,radiation 25 years ago. Still in remission to thos day. :) betty